“The Quality of a Community can be no greater than its Citizens’ access to Knowledge”
The Richmond Public Library Foundation develops, administers and allocates private funds to provide the extra margin of excellence for the City’s library system by enhancing existing public support for the library and its programs.
The purpose of the Richmond Public Library Foundation is:
- To promote, encourage, support and aid the Richmond Public Library in its existing and/or future enterprises.
- To develop funds from all sources, including individuals, business and foundations, to enhance the Library’s public funding.
- To allocate those funds to the Richmond Public Library to support such areas as new technologies, special projects and acquisitions.
- To use and administer gifts, grants, bequests and devises for the benefit of the Richmond Public Library.
History and Background
Founded in 1997, the Richmond Public Library Foundation has succeeded in raising more than $2.3 million dollars for its Literary Legacy capital campaign to renovate the Main Library. The Foundation holds more than $420,000 in total assets, which have been raised through both restricted and non-restricted gifts, grants and donations from private sources. The Foundation has an Annual Appeal, which raises more than $60,000 a year from a dedicated donor base of philanthropic individuals and businesses in the Richmond community.
In June 2011, the Foundation approved our 2011-2014 strategic plan to provide our next steps. The members of the Board of Directors have placed the Foundation in an excellent position for growth and service to the library. The Foundation has a strong base, the Friends of the Library remains remarkably vibrant year after year, the Library Board has outstanding members with tremendous experience, and the Library Director is attuned to the needs of the community and the ways in which this library can help meet those needs.
It is with these reasons that the Richmond Public Library Foundation Board of Directors has adopted the following Strategic Plan. The priorities are summarized below, and details, responsibilities and timeframes are available in the downloadable document.
Adopted by the Board this day, the 8th of June 2011.
Strategic Plan Priorities 2011-2016
- To recognize the role of the Library in the quality of life for residents of the City of Richmond, and to advocate for, and support, the Library.
- To develop a Board of Directors that is motivated and qualified to carry out the Foundation’s Strategic Plan, and which will assist the Library Board in support of its strategic plan.
- To develop and maintain a solid annual fund appeal through the solicitation of individuals, corporations, and foundations, which will guarantee regular support of Library program and initiatives.
- To continue to research and solicit funders of restricted gifts for identified Library programs.
- To prepare to launch a General Endowment Drive of at least $1,000,000 in 2014 in support of a project to be decided by the Foundation Board.
- To create a marketing and public relations campaign to create public awareness of the Library system and its funding needs.
- To maintain the highest level of fiscal responsibility and financial management of the organization.
- To promote and build the relationships and strengths of the Foundation, Library Board and Friends of the Library.