Nominations Now Open for 2018 YAVA Award
Richmond Public Library is now accepting nominations for the 2018 YAVA Award, an annual literary award for excellence in writing for readers at the middle and high school level by a Virginia author.
Eligible books must have been published in 2017. The deadline for nominations is February 28, 2018.
To nominate a YAVA book, complete the Richmond Public Library’s online nomination form.
Criteria for consideration:
- the author must reside in Virginia
- the book must have been released during 2017
- the book must have been written for readers in middle or high school
- the book may be fiction, nonfiction, or poetry
- three (3) copies of the nominated book must be submitted to Jennifer Deuell, Richmond Public Library, 101 East Franklin Street, Richmond, VA 23219.
Award Selection Process:
From the books nominated, RPL staff will select approximately fifteen to be considered for the 2018 YAVA Award. The list will be distributed to the public for voting during the spring of 2018. The three titles receiving the most votes will go to a panel of judges who will determine the winner.
The winning author will be recognized and receive a $1,000 cash prize at the YAVA Book and Author Party at Richmond Public Library on Saturday, October 6, 2018 from 2-4 pm.
The top three finalists will be notified in advance. In order to receive the award, the author must be present at the RPL YAVA event and plan a writing workshop or program for teens in 2019.
For additional information, please call 804-646-1867 or email Heather.Montgomery@richmondgov.com