Welcome back. We know how important libraries are to their communities and we value being able to Inform, Enrich, & Empower everyone who walks through our doors. That’s why Richmond Public Library has worked hard the last few months to play our part in ensuring the safety of our customers and staff while offering services across the city. For the past few months, we have been offering as many services as possible by curbside and we are happy to announce our plan to expand those services as we begin to reopen buildings. This will be a staged process. The information that follows outlines how the Library will open with precautions in place to help ensure a healthy and safe experience for all. While it may become necessary to alter these plans if there is a change in public health safety, we will do our best to keep you updated with the latest information.
As Richmond Public Library locations open in a deliberate staggered approach, there will be limits on the services offered. Customers are currently able to return materials, check out items, fax, get copies, and print materials via our curbside services. Customers may make appointments to use computers. The Library will also continue to offer as many virtual services and programming as we can. Check our website for updates as we reopen each location. Each location page will also update as new services are added. Our goal is to gradually increase full access and open more libraries as health restrictions are relaxed. In order to accommodate the need to social distance, services may look a little different at each library based on the location’s space layout.
In the Library
- All patrons and library employees are required to wear masks and maintain a safe physical distance of six feet from others at all times.
- If you have a fever or other COVID-19 symptoms, do not enter the building. No one exhibiting symptoms of COVID-19 is permitted to enter the building.
- Staff complete a daily temperature check and survey and are encouraged to stay home if they feel unwell.
- Tables and chairs were removed or relocated in order to maintain safe distances. Please do not move furnishings.
Using the Computers
- Computer usage at each location is limited up to 1 hour/day.
- Sign up is required to use a limited number of computers for a 1 hour session once per day.
- Due to social distancing measures, staff will be unable to provide computer assistance. If you need in-depth assistance, please bring a friend or family member.
- When you arrive at any of the libraries, please call your branch or ring the doorbell outside each entrance if you are visiting the library to use a public computer.
- All patrons visiting the library will have their temperature taken upon entry and will be asked to leave a name and number in the event of exposure to Covid-19.
- Payment for printing will only be accepted through automated vending service points which accept coins, $1 or $5 bills, credit, or debit.
- Curbside Printing is still available for each library location.
Curbside Printing Services
- Curbside printing services are offered at all locations.
- Faxing will continue to be free.
- Meeting rooms and study rooms are not available.
- Reservations cannot be made for these spaces.
- We cannot accept donations of books at this time.
- All circulation services are currently still under our curbside operations. Visit our curbside page to learn more about the process of picking up your holds, returning materials or other circulation related procedures.
Libraries Still In Curbside
- Beginning November 9, 2020, all locations will transition to our RPL Express phase.
Please contact your local library for any questions or concerns.
- All locations are accepting materials returned through our drop boxes.
In accordance with health department guidelines, all materials are quarantined for 7 days. Items may appear on your account for up to a week after you return them.
- Currently all items are checking out for two weeks.
- We have implemented automatic renewals for materials that are not on reserve/hold. Due dates on checked out items will be extended for up to four renewals as long as there are no requests for the titles.
- We are currently only offering curbside pickup for holds.
Cleaning & Sanitization
We are eager to see you in the library. Masks are required in our buildings. Staff are practicing safe distancing and we ask that you do as well. We are taking all precautions that we can to insure a healthy environment.
To help diminish the spread of germs, the stacks are not open for browsing at this time.
Each library is visited weekly by a crew that disinfects high-touch and non-porous surfaces with an electrostatic antimicrobial spray.
Before the library opens
Each library is cleaned and disinfected prior to opening. This includes restrooms, tables and chairs, reading and study areas, staff break rooms, floors, and all high touch surfaces, such as doorknobs, stair railings, elevator buttons, etc.
After the library opens
Wipes are available to clean computer keyboards and screens after usage. Restrooms are equipped with antimicrobial soap for hand washing. All returned materials are quarantined for seven days before being checked in and returned to shelves.
- Public restrooms will be accessible at our libraries.