Library Services and Reopening
Beginning July 6, 2020, all Richmond Public Libraries are open to the public with limited hours, reduced services and some important changes to consider before visiting. We have made adjustments to our processes and procedures to ensure the health and safety of our patrons and library staff.
In the Library
- All patrons and library employees are required to wear masks and maintain a safe physical distance of six feet from others at all times.
Please be aware of your surroundings and maintain COVID-19 safe physical distance at all times. Library staff will maintain six feet of physical distancing at all times.
- If you have a fever or other COVID-19 symptoms, do not enter the building. No one exhibiting symptoms of COVID-19 is permitted to enter the building.
- Tables and chairs were removed or relocated in order to maintain safe distances. Please do not move furnishings.
- Restrooms are open and available for use and handwashing. High contact surfaces are cleaned and disinfected as frequently as possible.
Using the Computers
- Computer usage is limited to 60-minute sessions. Time can be extended in 15-minute increments, not to exceed a total of 90 minutes per day.
- Due to social distancing measures staff will be unable to provide computer assistance. If you need in-depth assistance, please bring a friend or family member.”
- Payment for printing will only be accepted through automated vending service points which accept coins, $1.00 or $5.00 bills, credit, or debit.
- Faxing charges are temporarily suspended.
- Notary services are temporarily suspended.
- Meeting rooms and study rooms are not available.
- Reservations cannot be made for these spaces.
- We cannot accept donations of books at this time.
- All locations are accepting materials returned inside or in our drop boxes outside.
In accordance with health department guidelines, all materials are quarantined for at least 72 hours. Items may appear on your account for up to a week after you return them.
- Currently all items are checking out for two weeks.
- We have implemented automatic renewals for materials that are not on reserve/hold. Due dates on checked out items will be extended for up to four renewals.
Story Times and Events
All library events and story times are suspended during this phase to limit exposure in largecongregations.
Please visit our online calendar for a list of all our virtual events and online story times. Some of the current digital activities include Full STEAM Ahead/Crafty Hour, Ripple’s ReadingBuddies, Storytime Shorts – Virtual Storytime, Master Gardener Virtual Help Desk and more.
Summer Reading 2020
Even though services are limited, this year’s Summer Reading digital program is in full swing. We’re bringing all the parts of Summer Reading you love but available from the comfort of your home. We’ve prepared book lists, virtual programs, STEAM activities, book boxes and more. Visit the Summer Reading page to learn more about all the available services and activities.
The last day of curbside pickup is Thursday, July 2. All processes for obtaining holds and checking out materials will return to normal.