We know how important libraries are to their communities and we value being able to Inform, Enrich, & Empower everyone who walks through our doors. That’s why Richmond Public Library has worked hard the last few months to play our part in ensuring the safety of our customers and staff while offering services across the city. The information that follows outlines how the Library will provide services with precautions in place to help ensure a healthy and safe experience for all. While it may become necessary to alter these plans if there is a change in public health safety, we will do our best to keep you updated with the latest information.
As Richmond Public Library locations open in a deliberate staggered approach, there will be limits on the services offered. Customers are currently able to return materials, check out items, fax, get copies, and print materials via our curbside services. Due to increased COVID-19 cases, appointments to use computers are suspended until further notice. The Library will continue to offer as many virtual services and programming as we can. Check our website for updates as we reopen each location. Each location page will also update as new services are added. Our goal is to gradually increase full access and open more libraries as health restrictions are relaxed. In order to accommodate the need to social distance, services may look a little different at each library based on the location’s space layout.
Using the Computers
- If you need to use a computer, you can check out a Chromebook at East End, Hull Street, North Avenue, and Ginter Park branches or use a laptop curbside at Broad Rock and West End branches. Computer appointments are not being accepted at this time.
- Curbside Printing is still available for each library location.
Curbside Printing Services
- Curbside printing services are offered at all locations.
- Faxing will continue to be free.
- Notary services are suspended until further notice.
- Meeting rooms and study rooms are not available.
- Reservations cannot be made for these spaces.
- We cannot accept donations of books at this time.
- All circulation services are currently still under our curbside operations. Visit our curbside page to learn more about the process of picking up your holds, returning materials or other circulation related procedures.
Libraries Still In Curbside
- All locations are in curbside mode.
Please contact your local library for any questions or concerns.
- All locations are accepting materials returned through our drop boxes.
In accordance with health department guidelines, all materials are quarantined for 24 hours. Items may appear on your account after you return them.
- Currently all items are checking out for two weeks.
- We do not charge overdue fees for late materials, effective February 2020.
- In July 2020, we implemented automatic renewals for materials that are not on reserve/hold. Due dates on checked out items are extended for up to four renewals as long as there are no requests for the titles.
- We are currently only offering curbside pickup for holds.
Cleaning & Sanitization
We are eager to see you in the library. Masks are required in our buildings. Staff are practicing safe distancing and we ask that you do as well. We are taking all precautions that we can to insure a healthy environment.
To help diminish the spread of germs, the stacks are not open for browsing at this time.
Each library is visited weekly by a crew that disinfects high-touch and non-porous surfaces with an electrostatic antimicrobial spray.
Before the library opens
Each library is cleaned and disinfected prior to opening. This includes restrooms, tables and chairs, reading and study areas, staff break rooms, floors, and all high touch surfaces, such as doorknobs, stair railings, elevator buttons, etc.
After the library opens
Wipes are available to clean computer keyboards and screens after usage. Restrooms are equipped with antimicrobial soap for hand washing. All returned materials are quarantined for 24 hours before being checked in and returned to shelves.
- Our buildings are closed at this time.