Who is eligible for a free library card?
- All residents of the cities: Richmond, Hopewell, Petersburg, and Williamsburg.
- All residents of the counties: Charles City, Chesterfield, Dinwiddie, Goochland, Hanover, Henrico, King William, New Kent, Powhatan, and Prince George.
Non Residents who live outside the City of Richmond and surrounding counties may obtain a fee card.
Apply Online for an eCard
Get immediate access to the library’s online services:
- check out eBooks and eAudiobooks
- access our online resources
- place holds on library materials
- access public computers and the Internet at all library locations
If you’re a resident of the City of Richmond and surrounding areas, 18 or older and have never had a Richmond Public Library card, you’re eligible for an eCard. (Under 18? You’re eligible too, but your parent or guardian should complete this application for you)
If you already have a physical Richmond Public Library card, you don’t need to sign up for an eCard! Your current card can be used for online services. Only one card of either type is permitted per individual.
To check out physical materials visit any Richmond Public Library to convert your eCard to a card with full borrowing privileges. Please bring a photo ID and proof of current address.
Apply in person for a physical library card
Adult Registration – Fine-Free Card
- Travel to any Richmond Public Library branch.
- Present a current picture identification with current address, such as a driver’s license or passport.
- If your current address is different from the address on your photo ID, you will also need to bring in another document with the current address on it (one example is a utility bill).
- If you use a post office box as a primary address, you must still show proof of a current home address.
Juvenile Registration – Fine-Free Card
- Must be accompanied by a parent or legal guardian 18 years or older in order to apply.
- Adult registrants must have met the above picture identification requirements.
- Adults accept responsibility for materials borrowed or any charges incurred on the child’s card.
Youth Adult Registration – Fine-Free Card
- Young adults ages 14 and older can apply for their own card if they hold a photo ID, such as a current Virginia Driver’s License or learner’s permit, provisional license or school-issued ID.
- Otherwise, a parent or legal guardian must be present in order to apply.
Lose your card?
Contact the library immediately if your card is lost or stolen. Cards may be replaced for a fee of $1.00. Photo identification must be presented to replace a card.
Cards do not expire
The library card does not expire, but information is checked for accuracy at least once yearly. Some of the older library cards still have expiration dates – if you discover your card is expired, please stop by any branch and we’ll update it.