SIGNING AND SELLING BOOKS IN THE MAIN LIBRARY LOBBY
- Authors from the greater Richmond area (City of Richmond and surrounding counties) are invited to set up a table in the lobby of the Main Library to sign and sell books in a low-key and casual setting. The lobby space is offered free of charge to local authors, with a suggested donation of 10% of any sales during the event to RPL.
- Local authors who book a library lobby signing are encouraged to donate copies of their book(s) to be added to the library’s circulating collection. Allow six weeks cataloging and processing.
- Local authors may sign up online for three-hour slots. The lobby may be booked up to six months in advance, and authors may book up to three slots per calendar year, no more than one per month. The library reserves the right to cancel any bookings.
- Two authors may appear together at a lobby signing, but only one author can make the online booking. Information about both authors should be included in the appropriate section of the online booking form.
- The library will list your event on our local authors page, but you are primarily responsible for promotion. You may include the library name and address on any publicity you create, but not the RPL phone number or email. You should list your own contact information on any promotional materials. Local authors should be sure to invite family and friends to their event via email and social media.
- Please, no “hard sell” tactics. Do not assume that library users are potential customers. Many library users want to read books, but don’t want to buy books. If someone seems interested, but unwilling or unable to purchase your work, suggest that they check out or reserve a library copy of your book(s). (Because you DID donate copies of your book(s) to the library).