Receive Library Notices On Your Phone
Richmond Public Library is now offering a SMS notification service for some of our most common notice reminders. With this service patrons can receive text notifications for items due, overdue items and available holds.
How to Sign Up
Patrons can sign up for this service by visiting any of our library locations or by accessing their account online.
To sign up online:
- Visit the Account portal
- Go to My Account
- Select Change SMS Options
- Login with your User ID(library card number) and pin
- Click on Add Phone
- Enter a name for the phone number in the label field and fill in the remaining fields
- Select the types of notices you want to receive
- Bill Notices: not currently used by RPL
- Overdue Notices: receive SMS messages for overdue items and items approaching their due date
- Hold Pickup Notices: receive SMS messages for items available for pickup
- Manual Messages: messages specifically for you sent from staff
- User Announcements: receive important library announcements regarding closures and other pertinent information regarding library access
- Save Changes
You are now ready to receive library notices via SMS. A text will be sent when a related activity on your account triggers a message.
Will I Still Get Emails And Calls?
You will still receive email notices, as our emails are more detailed and contain information like titles or due dates.
You will not receive phone calls.
When Will I Receive Texts?
You will receive a notice whenever an activity on your account triggers a message.
If you receive a message after closing, items will be available for pickup on the next business day.
Will I Receive Notices for OverDrive/Libby?
No, all OverDrive/Libby notices are delivered via email.
Is There A Charge?
Richmond Public Library does not charge a fee for this service. Message and data charges may apply in accordance with your service provider.
Can I Update My Phone Number?
Yes, you can update your number 24/7 by accessing your virtual account.
Login to your account and visit the Change SMS Options under My Account. Edit the phone field with your updated number and Save Changes.
Can I Have Multiple Accounts Linked To One Phone?
Yes, you can use the same number for multiple accounts.
What Devices Will Receive Notices?
Library text notices can be sent to any device with a cellular number that is enabled to receive standard text messages.
Can I Respond To The Phone Number ?
No, this is an automated service.
Can I Cancel This Service?
Yes, you can opt out of this service in two ways:
- Visit any of our library locations, and staff can remove you from this service.
- Login to your account and visit the Change SMS Options under My Account. Just select the checkbox under Remove Phone next to the number you wish to remove and save. You will now no longer receive text notices.