What is World Water Day? It’s a United Nations Observance that started in 1993 to celebrate water and bring awareness to the 2 million people living now without access to safe water. That’s an insanely high number isn’t it? World Population Clock puts today’s (03/21/2022) population at 7.9 billion so that’s 0.025% of the world’s population that doesn’t have access to clean safe water. While a small percentage, that’s still way too many people.
This year’s theme is groundwater which ties in nicely to the Greening Richmond Public Libraries initiative. If you hadn’t seen it yet, we’re updating the green spaces of several libraries to be more effective for stormwater management and green infrastructure with the help of James River Association and RVA H20.
Direct quote from WWD website, linked at the beginning of this post:
“Groundwater is invisible, but its impact is visible everywhere.
Out of sight, under our feet, groundwater is a hidden treasure that enriches our lives.
Almost all of the liquid freshwater in the world is groundwater.
As climate change gets worse, groundwater will become more and more critical.
We need to work together to sustainably manage this precious resource.
Groundwater may be out of sight, but it must not be out of mind.”
In honor, I’ve put together a few book lists for you. Some are about water, some have water in the title, and some have water on the cover. Hope you like them all! If you’re looking for more recommendations, feel free to put a request into Bookologist!
- Nibi’s Water Song by Sunshine Tenasco
- Water: A Biography by Giulio Boccaletti
- Healer of the Water Monster by Brian Young
- Standpipe: Delivering Water in Flint by David Hardin
- Walking for Water by Susan Hughes
- Northern Light: Power, Land, and the Memory of Water by Kazim Ali
- Plasticus Martimus by Ana Pego
- We Are Water Protectors by Carole Lindstrom
- Sweetness of Water by Nathan Harris
- Fish Out of Water by Eric Metaxas
- Hard Like Water by Yan Lianke
- All the Water I’ve Seen Is Running by Elias Rodriques
- Open Water by Caleb Azumah Nelson
- The Water Bears by Kim Baker
- Rock Me on the Water by Ronald Brownstein
- A Song Below Water by Bethany C. Morrow
- The Water Dancer by Ta-Nehisi Coates
- The War for Gloria by Atticus Lish
- Born on the Water by Nikole Hannah-Jones
- Stone’s Throw by Robert B. Parker
- Under the Bayou Moon by Valerie Fraser Luesse
- Blood in the Water by Silver Donald Cameron
- The City of Mist by Carlos Ruiz Zafón
- Silent Winds, Dry Seas by Vinod Busjeet