Richmond Public Library’s Summer Reading Program Starts June 10
Post Date: 6/5/2023
(Richmond, VA) — Richmond Public Library’s Summer Reading Program is back! From June 10 – August 5, join Richmond Public Library for reading, activities, special events, and prizes. Our annual Summer Reading Program is for community members of all ages!
Starting on June 10, patrons can pick up a reading calendar at their closest Richmond Public Library branch, the Richmond Public Schools Lit Limo, or download one from our Summer Reading website. For every day you read, color in a square on the calendar. Once you’ve colored in 10 squares, bring the calendar into your local RPL branch or RPS Lit Limo and be entered into a drawing for one of the grand prizes.
Grand prizes include tickets to the Byrd Theatre, a family membership to the Children’s Museum of Richmond, a $150 gift card to the Tech Exchange, and a chance to throw out the opening pitch with Nutzy and Ripple at a Flying Squirrels game (to name a few). Winners will be announced at our Summer Reading Finale on Saturday, August 5 at Maymont. You do not need to be present to win.
This year’s theme is “All Together Now” and we have hundreds of special activities and events planned for our community. The goal is for all our patrons to experience a summer full of fun and learning. Here are just a few notable summer reading events, which are all free and open to the public. Details and more listings can be found at the library’s online calendar and in our Summer 2023 What’s Happening guide which can be printed and is also available at all RPL locations.
Summer Reading Kickoff on June 10 (Sat)
- Belmont Branch – 1:00-3:00 PM Come kick off Summer Reading 2023: All Together Now in front of Belmont by joining in creating a community art piece using spray bottle painting.
- Broad Rock Branch – 1:00-3:00 PM Celebrate the start of Summer Reading 2023 at Broad Rock’s dance party! We’ll have music, food, games, and fun for everyone.
- Main Library – 11:00-2:00 PM Grab your Summer Reading Calendar, enjoy some snacks, and make some cool crafts as we celebrate being All Together Now!
- West End Branch – 10:00 AM-1:00 PM Visit West End for some special treats and activities to celebrate the first day of RPL’s Summer Reading Program 2023. Storytime will be at 10:15 AM, arts and crafts stations from 11:00 AM-1:00 PM, and special guest Ripple will stop by!
RippleCon on June 24 (Sat) from 11:00 AM-3:00 PM
Join us for our first-ever event celebrating all things fandom! Meet fantasy and comic book authors and cosplay creators. Buy some cool merch from local artists. Learn a new game and participate in a cosplay contest, then show off your skills in our Super Smash Bros. Tournament. For all ages. Go to rvalibrary.info/RippleCon for more info.
AWARE Animal Rescue
Come see Virginia wildlife that have been rescued and rehabilitated: ducks, opossums, small critters, and HUGE SNAKES!
- June 12 (Mon) – Main Library at 11:00 AM
- June 12 (Mon) – Westover Hills Branch at 2:00 PM
- July 10 (Mon) – West End Branch at 11:00 AM
- July 10 (Mon) – Belmont Branch at 2:00 PM
- July 17 (Mon) – Hull Street Branch at 11:00 AM
- July 17 (Mon) – Ginter Park Branch at 2:00 PM
- July 29 (Sat) – East End Branch at 2:00 PM
- August 1 (Tues) – North Avenue Branch 11:00 AM
- August 1 (Tues) – Broad Rock Branch at 2:00 PM
Cake Pop Sensations! with Victoria’s Kitchen
Beat the heat while having some cake pop fun! Ages 6-12. Registration required. Visit our online calendar to register.
- June 14 (Wed) – Broad Rock Branch at 3:30 PM
- June 20 (Tues) – West End Branch at 4:00 PM
- June 26 (Mon) – East End Branch at 11:00 AM
- June 27 (Tues) – Ginter Park Branch at 2:00 PM
- July 18 (Tues) – Belmont Branch at 3:00 PM
- July 20 (Thurs) – Main Library at 11:00 AM
- July 21 (Fri) – North Avenue at 11:00 AM
- July 28 (Fri) – Hull Street Branch at 10:30 AM
- August 2 (Wed) – Westover Hills Branch at 4:00 PM
Chris Campbell is a popular children’s ventriloquist, singer, and songwriter! Come enjoy a live, interactive concert!
- June 15 (Thur) – Hull Street Branch at 10:30 AM
- June 27 (Tues) – Belmont Branch at 3:00 PM
- June 28 (Wed) – Broad Rock Branch at 3:30 PM
- June 29 (Thur) – Main Library at 11:00 AM
- June 30 (Fri) – North Avenue Branch at 11:00 AM
- July 18 (Tues) – West End Branch at 3:30 PM
- July 19 (Wed) – Westover Hills Branch at 4:00 PM
- July 24 (Mon) – East End Branch at 11:00 AM
- July 26 (Wed) – Ginter Park Branch at 3:00 PM
Summer Reading Finale on August 5 (Sat) from 11:00 AM – 2:00 PM
Celebrate the end of our Summer Reading Program at Maymont Park (near the petting animal farm). There will be games, crafts, Kona Ice, and of course the drawings for our Summer Reading Grand Prizes! For all ages.
The 2023 Summer Reading Program is generously funded by the Friends of Richmond Public Library.