Readers, we are more than halfway through the 2021 RPL Teen Reading Challenge! It’s hard to believe we are already into the month of July. Thankfully, this year is measuring up to be a much better year for reading and otherwise!
This month’s reading prompt is to read something that will make you laugh and I am here for it! I don’t know about you but I am always up for a good laugh. And, during the summer I am always looking for a light, fun read. So, I’ve put together a list of items that are sure to have you laughing. From standup comedy to a reality show set in space. From a disastrous Putt-Putt date involving a backward prosthetic foot to revenge of the bullied nerd. You will find anything and everything on this list to have you ROFL!
- This Will Be Funny Someday by Katie Henry
- The Field Guide to the North American Teenager by Ben Philippe
- Hot Dog Girl by Jennifer Dugan
- Waste of Space by Gina Damico
- Beauty Queens by Libba Bray
- Be More Chill by Ned Vizzini
- Once Upon a Quinceañera by Monica Gomez-Hira
- Nimona by Noelle Stevenson
- Popular: A eMmoir: Vintage Wisdom for a Modern Geek by Maya van Wagenen
- Laughing at My Nightmare by Shane Burcaw
- The Amazing Book Is Not on Fire: The World of Dan and Phil by Dan Howell & Phil Lester
- Almost American Girl: An Illustrated Memoir by Robin Ha
- We Should Hang Out Sometime: Embarrassingly, a True Story by Josh Sundquist
- Ginger Kid: Mostly True Tales from a Former Nerd by Steve Hofstetter
- I Left the House Today! by Melba Pattillo Beals
- It’s Trevor Noah: Born a Crime: Stories from a South African Childhood by Ann Bausum
Not in the mood to read a whole book? Then, check out these websites that are sure to have you bursting with laughter!
- The Onion tauts itself as “America’s Finest News Source,” and it very well may be if you like your news with a side of satire.
- Podcasts are always fun, and this one is certainly that! Socially Awkward is a series of improvised and non-sequitur interviews with teenagers to make you laugh.
- Wait Wait… Don’t Tell Me! is NPR’s weekly hour-long quiz program that is a hilariously good time. Play along on the radio or the web!
- How about some good old fashioned jokes? One-liners, knock knock jokes, JokesQuotesFactory.com has them all!
Here’s to hoping one (or more) of these resources gets you laughing…because humor is the spice of life! If you are a teen, you can join the conversation taking place on our Discord server. We have a designated channel for readers to chat all month. Not a member of the server yet? Fill out this form and we’ll send you an invite. Also, feel free to tag us on social media and share what you’re reading #2021rplteenreadingchallenge
To visit (or revisit) my previous posts on the 2021 RPL Reading Challenge, follow these links:
The original post with info on how the challenge works.
Prompt 1 – Immigration in the U.S.
Prompt 2 – Teen Activism
Prompt 3 – Body Positivity
Prompt 4 – Protecting Our Environment
Prompt 5 – Shared Talents
Prompt 6 – Juneteenth
Check back next month for suggestions to fulfill Prompt 8, “Something recommended by someone you admire.”